How Much a Website Costs depends
A Free Website may Cost you Everything !
A free website does not require you to Register a Domain Name nor to Pay for Web Hosting. You are given a Subdomain or a Directory (Folder) on the Host’s Domain Website. You then invest your time creating Content and posting it on their website. This helps draw traffic to their website building PageRank and future traffic. They then select and place relevant Sponsor Advertisements around your content. These ad placements are their main source of income from free website hosting. All free websites cost you the freedom to accept and display paid advertising.
Free webspace that is not a domain is a good place for you to experiment and setup small feeder websites that direct traffic over to your own Website.
If their Business fails, and the Website disappears, so does your Content. Even if you know ahead of time, you can not move your content intact since you are not the Registered Owner. Additionally to losing your website content you also lose all the extremely valuable accumulated backlinks earned from other websites pointing back to your content URLs.
A Registered Domain Name and Web Hosting costs
Websites based on a Registered privately owned domain incur 2-recurring basic expenses.
1) Registering a Domain Name costs
Registering a Domain Name for your website typically costs less than $12.usd per year. This gives you ownership of the Domain Name for a period of time and enables connection of the Internet to your website Host’s DNS (Domain Name Servers) and then your Website. Prices vary both by Registrar and the tld (top level domain – the final dot and letters – like .com)
I recommend using a separate Domain Name Registrar from your Website Host. This will reduce complications should you have a problem with either Service Provider and need to transfer to another Service Provider. Most often it is the Website Host that offers Domain Name Registration not only for a sale but to increase their hold.
2) Hosting a Website costs
Hosting your website costs have been dropping as hardware costs drop and competition increases. New services are being added to the Hosting package and increase the value.
- Most significant among these is Video hosting which may be available for maximum control of video content on your website. Free hosting of video on websites like YouTube costs you a large degree of control and prevents you from charging for Members Only access for streaming or downloading your videos.
- Website Building software should include an extensive collection of templates that you can select from to quickly get your website setup and easily edited directly online. It should come with your Hosting.
- Domain Name based email accounts should be included to enhance your image, particularly valuable for branding commercial ventures.
- An AutoResponder service may be included to harvest (squeeze and capture) email addresses and Build a List of Subscriber-Prospects for Email Marketers. Your Host needs to be Whitelisted and VERY RESPONSIVE to correcting Blacklisting for accidental SPAM email complaints.
- Extensive free Support with numerous 24×7 options is a must. Phone, FAQ pages, Video, Live Chat and email Ticket are all very helpful in a variety of situations. Webinars combine Live Chat with Video and Audio for a group to interact with the Host.
My Website Host provides all these services and enables personal Conference Rooms plus hosting for upto 4-Domains (websites) for less than $10.USD per month, that is under $2.50 each! 😛
The total annual cost for 4-Registered websites with Hosting Package is less than $168.USD if you Register all 4-websites yourself. If you Resell webspace to friends or clients who pay you for sharing your allotment and they Register their own Domain Names, your cost is greatly reduced.